Cant find cream cheese or simply fresh cheese at the grocery?
No problem! You’ll just make your own and feel how rewarding it feels to create from scratch such humble product. Personally, cheese making has always been something that excited me but I sadly havent dabbled in the process that much. This simple fresh, spreadable cheese is my second attempt at the process after making Lebneh which is also something you will want to try. Hope you enjoy this.
- 2L of fatty milk (I used 3.25% fat)
- 115g of lemon juice
- - In a medium, stainless steel sauce pan, heat the milk until 95F before adding the lemon juice and closing the heat. Give it a quick and light stir, cover it with a lid and let the magic happen. This process takes about 10-15 minutes.
- - Using a cheese cloth in a strainer, separate the whey (the liquid) with the solids (the cheese).
- - Once most of the liquid is drained, suspend the cheese cloth containing the cheese on top of the bowl of whey and let it drain more until the desired consistency.
- - Voilà! You made fresh cheese and you can start using it right away. You can mix in salt and let it drain even more. The cheese will keep in the fridge for at least a week or more and the whey will keep for at least a month in the fridge and a very long time in the freezer.
- - Don't throw out the whey, there's a lot you can make it it!