Trying to eat less meat, sometimes it gets a little complicated because you wished you had some sort of “ground meat” type like protein but those store bought versions often contain too much salt, carrageenan or even worst, ingredients we can barely pronounced.
This is my own version for vegan “ground beef” which obviously isn’t beef but has some sort of beefy flavour although I like to call it unicorn meat since they are kind trendy right now and it always make people smile when I present them a dish made with this little concoction. Use it pretty much like you would use ground meat, it’s perfect for taco, stuffed peppers, spaghetti sauce, lasagna and more! Get creative, this recipe wont disappoint.
The only small detail to remember is when you shred your tofu block with your hands, make sure you keep decently big pieces or reduce the cooking time a little, if you have a lot of small pieces, so they don’t burn.
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon of miso
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce (to make it fully vegan, use the vegan version)
- 2 tablespoons of reduced in salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 block of hard, plain flavoured tofu, water pressed down with your hands
- - Pre-heat your oven at 400, line a parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- - Squeeze as much water as you can out of your tofu, with your hands. In a mixing bowl, crumble the tofu in small pieces.
- - Add all the ingredients and mix well till every pieces is covered.
- - Transfer to the baking sheet, making one layer as much as possible with the crumbled tofu. Put in the oven for a first 15 minutes of baking.
- - After the first 15 minutes, get the tofu out and mix it well before returning it to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- - Once the first 30minutes of cooking have been completed, remove the unicorn meat from the over, stir and mix again and return it once again for an extra 15 minutes.
- - At this point your have 45 minutes of cooking done and everything is starting to have a nice uniform colour. Give it one last stir and mix before giving it a last 5 minutes of cooking for a total of 50 minutes.
- - Wait for your meat to cool down before transferring it to a plastic container. Store in the fridge for approximately 1 week.