This is a recipe that was featured on Twitch and you can rewatch the episode in replay if you missed it.
If you’re searching for a quick and easy dish that will for sure please most palates, this is it. Not only that it’s close to impossible to miss the cooking on chicken thighs, your don’t even need to peel the skin of the squash which will save you loads of time. Delicata squashes are part of the summer squashes family, pretty much like zucchinis, and they are often available at the grocery all year long depending on where you live.
You will find a great balance between the spices on the chicken and the sweetness of the chutney. The lemon zest and the fresh mint leaves playing the role of adding extra layers of flavours to bring everything together. It truly is an amazing dish and I sincerely hope you get to try this recipe.
Cant find a delicata squash at the grocery? No problem.
Fresh cubes of butternut or acorn squash will be perfect as a replacement. Just don’t forget to remove the skin and use about a quarter of the squash (because delicata are much smaller in size), prior to grill them.
- For the chicken marinade
- 30g of tomato paste
- 10g of light tasting oil (I used avocados)
- 5g of granulated garlic powder
- 7g of sweet paprika
- 3.5g of turmeric
- 1g of onion powder
- 2.5g of cumin powder
- 3g of fine sea salt
- For the chutney
- 1 big green zucchini, cubed
- ½ delicata squash, cubed, skin on
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
- zest of 1 small lemon
- freshly squeeze juice of 1 small lemon (or half of a regular size one)
- 1 mini pickled jalapeño pepper (I used a brand called: La Morenas)
- 5-7 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- oil for the pan.
- - Marinate your chicken: Mix all the ingredients together and rub it all over your chicken with your hands until everything is nicely coated. Leave the chicken in the marinade, in the fridge, until you're ready to grill it.
- - Take one pan and place it on the stove top. Add the oil and start grilling your cubes of squash until they soften a bit (about 5-6minutes).
- - Add all your other ingredients for the chutney except the mint leaves, lemon juice and lemon zest,
- - Once the zucchinis and squashes are well cooked, reduced in size and start to have nice grilled marks, add the lemon juice, mix well until it's absorbed and add the zest and mint leaves. Remove from the pan and reserved.
- - Still in the same pan, add the chicken and grill it until it's ready and you can see clear grilling marks.
- - Serve everything with brown rice for a nice texture and taste contrast.