We all love the taste of bacon but bacon doesn’t always love us…
Hopefully, there is a few “bacon like” alternatives that can help us quench our need for delicious bacon while respecting our diet! Today, I’m presenting you a personal favourite: Coconut Bacon! You can easily take this same recipe and use thin slices of almonds instead if you’re not a fan of coconut. Take note that the end result might taste a slight different, there is something with the soft texture of the coconut flakes that really remind you of real bacon while almond bacon will keep a harder, crunchier texture.
Although, both version are delicious but….. my favourite is really coconut!
Enjoy this recipe!
- 1 cup of coconut "chips"
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoons of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of red miso paste
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
- - Pre-heat the oven at 300, line a parchment paper on a baking sheet. Reserve.
- - In a mixing bowl, toss all the ingredients together and mix well, with a spoon, for a good minute or two making sure everything is well coated with spices and maple syrup.
- - Transfer on the parchment paper and cook in the oven for 12 minutes.
- - Remove the from the oven, the "bacon" should still be soft at the touch. Move the parchment paper over on the counter and let cool down.
- - Once cool down, break the big pieces in smaller pieces. Place in a plastic bag and keep outside the fridge for about a week or two.
- - ...IF it become too soft again, give it a little boost in the oven for 3-4 minutes at 350.